Here's a picture of the two varieties of radishes that are coming out of our SFG boxes -- "Sparkler White Top" (red and white bi-color) and "Crimson Giant" (gorgeous scarlet color). Whenever we buy radishes at the grocery store or farmer's market, the pretty greens always come intact. And when we pluck them out of the garden, we also notice that there's a lot of greens to go with the commonly eaten part. The leaves are hairy and weird for use as a salad green. They are, however, quite delicious, cooked -- particularly, stir fried.
Growing up in Japan, learning to cook by watching my mother, I must warn anyone who's reading this that I am a typical Asian cook. Ever notice how most Asian chefs on TV never measure anything? We come from the 'school of eyeballing'. It's a legitimate home-style cooking method, in my humble opinion. I'm sharing my fried rice recipe that can be easily adjusted and experimented and is great with leftovers from the night before. All amounts are approximate.
Fried Rice with Radish Greens
-- A very simple and quick recipe that is perfect for using leftover rice and any meat that you have on hand.
- radish greens, chopped (I used about 1 cup for the single serving for myself.)
- about 1 table spoon of oil (olive oil, vegetable oil, whatever you prefer)
- about 1 cup of cooked rice (white or brown, left over from the previous dinner works great)
- about 4 oz. of cooked meat, chopped into 1/2" cubes (grilled chicken, ham, beef, bacon, hot dogs, etc.)
- salt & pepper to taste
vegetarian option: scrambled eggs or cubed/crumbled tofu can be substituted for any type of meat
- Heat the oil in a frying pan. (If you like using fresh onions and/or garlic, add them first when the oil is hot and ready before the greens are added.)
- Add the greens. They will cook fast, so be ready with all the other ingredients. Sautée over medium high heat.
- Add your choice of meat when the greens are just about all 'wilted'. Make sure you don't overcook the greens. If they start to stew in their own juice, you've cooked too long.
- Add cooked rice into the meat and greens mixture.
- Finish up with your desired seasonings to taste.
Plated with a radish 'flower' and leaf garnish. Just because. ^_^